A green smoothie is a great way to start your day. Greens are high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and vitamins A, C, E and K. They are crammed with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. And we didn’t even mention the benefits of the flax seeds and chia!
Some of the benefits of eating dark leafy greens:
- Blood purification
- Cancer prevention
- Improved circulation
- Strengthened immune system
- Promotion of healthy intestinal flora
- Promotion of subtle, light and flexible energy
- Lifted spirit and elimination of depression
- Improved liver, gall bladder and kidney function
- Cleared congestion, especially in lungs by reducing mucus
Everyone has a favorite smoothie recipe so we thought we would share ours. Feel free and share yours in the comment section below. Have you tried kale, cilantro, dandelion greens, fresh parsley or stinging nettles?Green Smoothie Recipe with Flax & Chia Seeds
2 cups cold water
1 tbs ground flaxseeds
1 tbs chia seeds
1 banana, cut into chunks
1 orange, peeled and separated into segments
½ apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
½ lemon, peeled and separated into segments
½-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cups baby spinach
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth and completely combined.
2. Drink all at once, or separate into two servings. The smoothie can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one day. When it comes out of the fridge, it will have thickened, so give it a brisk stir (or use a small whisk) and enjoy!